Our Mission: To deliver to our clients good advice in an efficient and timely manner, robust representation when required and all within the context of good value for money.

HISTORY OF MURNAGHAN COLTON

The Firm of Murnaghan Colton is an amalgamation of two old legal firms who have practised in the Omagh district for over 100 years.

Shields & Murnaghan
Francis Shields of Altmore became apprenticed to James Riordan, Solicitor, of Omagh, in June, 1878, and practiced, upon conclusion thereof, for the following 23 years until he entered into partnership with George Murnaghan, under the firm name of Shields & Murnaghan on 1st November, 1905, George having been apprenticed to Francis Shields from 22nd November, 1899.

They continued in general practice with various members of George’s family becoming apprenticed to, and practising with, the Partners over the years; Gerry Murnaghan remained as a partner with his father and continued the practice after his father’s death in October, 1955. After Gerry’s death in 1983 his daughter Mary Murnaghan continued the practice of Shields & Murnaghan.

Donnelly & O’Doherty
Donnelly & O’Doherty was a partnership of Alex E. Donnelly and his nephew, Jack O’Doherty. Jack was apprenticed to his uncle and survived him, only to die in the same week as John F Kennedy... and the practice was sold to Jack’s brother-in-law, Kevin Murnaghan.

Two Established Practices Become One
The amalgamation of these two similarly focused and sized Practices brought the Firm full circle in 1989; the name changed to Murnaghan Colton with Mary Murnaghan and Edwin Colton in partnership. They have been joined in recent years by Niall Fox, from Newtownbutler, Philip McGrade, from Trillick and Claire McNamee from Newtownstewart. The firm have an office also in Dromore, Edwin’s home town. The Firm is proud of its tradition and continues to incorporate the names of Donnelly & O’Doherty and Shields & Murnaghan in its brand. The history of these two legal Firms is there to see.

Carrying on Tradition
Mary Murnaghan and Edwin Colton have been a part of these two firms since they qualified, concentrating on tradition and quality of legal practice.

All Assistant Solicitors in the Practice have been trained by the Partners; their approach has always been a solid and genuine adherence to the principles of law, and the delivery of strong legal advice in an efficient and friendly manner. Our clients are not just clients, but much more. Our clients are our friends, for whom we have genuine concern and the will to do the very best we can.

HEAD OFFICE

3 John Street
Omagh
County Tyrone
BT78 1DW

Tel: 028 8224 2744
Fax: 028 8224 6065

e. law@murnaghancolton.co.uk